What to take, what to take...

What do you take when you're going on a 2 and a half month trip?  That is a really good question.    On top of that, since there might not be hotels open, add camping equipment to the mix, and the question becomes even harder.  If I was to take a normal weekend trip's luggage, multiply it by 10, I think I would be in trouble.  And the last time we went camping I think I filled the back end of our SUV with stuff.  Uh oh.

Thank goodness for the Inter-web to pose the question to people who've done similar trips.  Even though there are a lot of opinions (no, people disagree online?) there were a lot of good suggestions as to what to bring, and what to leave home.  The overwhelming consensus was that you should think twice before bringing anything along that won't be used often. Otherwise you will be cursing this extra weight as you haul it over the mountains with leg power.  That sounds like really good advice.  I did have to evaluate some of my existing equipment, and when necessary, it was time to dig deep and buy some new stuff. I kept most of my existing stuff, some of which has been out of fashion so long that it came back, and is back out again. My sleeping bag, weighing somewhere under 30 pounds and a bit smaller than a carry-on roller bag was tossed in favor of a new down bag weighing under 2 and about the size of a rolled up sweater. 

For anyone reading this, for your entertainment or curiosity, or in case you're all caught up on everything possible on Netfix, Hulu, Disney+, and every, I mean every, other option, I'll cover what I'm planning to take.  I won't be able to tell you whether this was a good list until I do cross the mountains.  If I haven't stopped, cursed my pack, and thrown this stuff overboard, we'll know it worked. 

Here's what I'm bringing:
Cycling clothes: 2 pairs cycling shorts, 1 pair long shorts, 1 pair of cycling tights, 2 short-sleeved jerseys, 1 long-sleeve jersey, rain pants and rain jacket, 2 pairs cycling gloves, 1 pair light gloves, 1 pair winter gloves, 3 pairs of socks, cycling shoes, helmet, sunglasses, balaclava
Other clothes: 1 pair shorts, 1 pair long pants, 2 T-shirts, pair swim shorts, hiking shoes, zip neck sweater, thin down jacket, wool cap
Camping Gear: (aforementioned small)sleeping bag, blow-up sleeping pad, tent*, camp chair (it's tiny and less than a pound), mess kit including stove* + pots, fuel* ground cloth, headlamp, pack towel, toilet paper (just in case), bathroom dopp kit,  *sharing between 2 of us
E-gear: iPhone, wireless earplugs, Surface and mouse (I still have to work), 2 back up batteries, headlight and rear light, all necessary plugs
Bike gear: air pump, multi-tool, extra spokes, bike lock, extra tubes and repair kit,
All the stuff laid out and rolled up
All bagged up

All this has to fit in 4 waterproof frame bags, plus one handlebar bag. Actually 2 of my bags are so old they lack a lot of features, including waterproof-ness, so I'll pack that  stuff in ziplocs and into the bags.  The list above, fully packed, weighed 11 pounds per rear bag, and 11 pounds for both front bags, meaning 33 pounds plus the weight of the bike and racks, not including the tent and fuel bottles, means about 40 pounds of gear plus the bike plus me equals about 240 pounds of "us" going over the mountains by the power of my old legs. 

Sure hope all this stuff makes it home.
On the bike
*Final note:  Thank you to everyone who contributed to the World Bicycle Relief fund-raiser.  I know it is a hard time now, and there are lots of needs right in front of us, so we don't expect anything. That's why we're extra grateful to those who could spare a little for a good cause.  Bicycles change lives.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seeing old friends

Getting the band back together!

Saying Goodbye to the Suffer Fest