Leaving for the coast tomorrow!



It's hard to believe, but the time has come to get on the plane and head out to Portland.  I've already checked-in for my flight, so it is feeling very real at this time.  Months (years?) of preparing for doing this trip and it begins tomorrow - yes, very hard to believe.  I head from Cleveland airport, through Midway, to Portland.  Don't forget the mask.  

Let's hope this thing makes the connection
The bike in a box

So how does one get a fully loaded bicycle on board an aircraft?   Very carefully...  Actually, you have to de-construct the bike, pack it back in the carton in which it came from the factory - or at least one that SOME bike came from some factory.  Racks off, fenders off, wheels off, even derailleur is detached, in order to fit into that box.   The box is then checked as luggage with the airline, an extra fee is paid (did you think we could avoid extra fees? Never!) and I carry on a few of the bags I couldn't fit into the box.   Thank you to Mike and Ryan at my local bike store, Beat Cycles, for working to get this thing back into Pandora's box.  Beat Cycles was a huge help all of the way, from the initial bike purchase to racks, bags, and some good advice. If you're in Lakewood and need bike help, both Spin and Beat Cycles are terrific places - Lakewood is blessed with some dedicated bicycle people.  

My life for the next 3 months - in 4 bags


Not much more to say today - not much yet has happened.  I'm hoping for smooth sailing and little turbulence between Cleveland and Portland.  Hopefully my next post will be from the coast!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seeing old friends

Getting the band back together!

Saying Goodbye to the Suffer Fest