Getting ready to go

new bike, almost ready
Wow, this summer is sure going fast! Every day that goes by is one day closer to launch date of 1 August.  At the same time, I don’t seem to be making much progress on getting my sh*& together for this ride.  I know it seems like an exaggeration, but I honestly don’t feel ready to go, and a bit anxious about what we’re getting into.  

3 years ago I had these same feelings, and it came to pass and it worked out, so I’m sure this will too.  But as the deadline approaches, I’m feeling that anxiety that comes with taking on a challenge like this one.

Of course it doesn’t help that my brother and fellow Dinosaur Jerry, who is retired and has few other distractions is texting me daily about some detail or another that I’ve either overlooked, hadn’t gotten to yet, or never contemplated.  I’m glad he’s bringing this stuff up, and I’m glad he’s thinking ahead, but it makes me feel unready when I’m so… unready.  Perhaps he’s nervous too, with just more time to contemplate the Great Divide.  We’ll see, won’t we?

Speaking of getting ready, I am making some progress on getting the new bike together.  I’ve added a front rack, attached bags, rejected the front rack idea, removed it and mounted a rear rack with greater success.  I’ve added the aero bars, mounted front bag and seat bag and took it for a dry run.  Most everything fit, and I think I’ve adjusted most of this stuff well.  I’m sure I’ll figure it out in the first day or two of the ride.  That’s what duct tape is for, isn’t it?  Strap on whatever wherever and off we go. 

For Father’s Day my daughters created some Dinosaurs on Wheels jerseys, complete with T-Rex riding up the mountains.  It’s done in a color-scheme that matches the new bike (Patty loved matchy stuff so I bet she’d have loved this)

I guess if I look good, everything else will fall into place, won’t it?  In the words of Billy Crystal on SNL, “It is better to look good than to feel good, and YOU LOOK MARVELOUS” 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seeing old friends

Getting the band back together!

Saying Goodbye to the Suffer Fest